I’m a stickler for drugstore beauty products and easy morning routines. My everyday makeup bag features a trusty roundup of affordable products, like Covergirl mascara, e.lf. foundation, Simple moisturizer and Neutrogena face wash. I’ve always been the type of makeup wearer who finds a product that works and sticks to it for life — I never splurge and I hardly ever experiment. Boring, I know.
And then I discovered Birchbox. And then I obsessed over Birchbox, wondering if it was worth it for someone like me — a beauty rookie with little technical know-how — to try such a service. And then, finally, I subscribed to Birchbox and my first delightful, little pink package came in the mail this week.
So here’s how it works.
Birchbox is a monthly beauty subscription service that delivers hand-picked samples of trendy products to your doorstep once a month for $10 a box. You fill out a beauty profile when you subscribe, so Birchbox’s amazing team of beauty connoisseurs can send you products that fit your personality, your lifestyle and your needs. The products come to you in the bright pink tissue paper of an adorable box. From there, just test out your samples and leave feedback online to earn Birchbox points (which translate to store credit, so you can purchase full size versions of the samples you received).
This is what I got in my first box (note, products linked below are the full size versions of the samples from my box):
1) Oribe Dry Texturing Spray, $42. This hybrid between dry shampoo and texturizer gives your hair a tousled texture that will stay in place all day long.
2) Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator, $34. This smoothing face cream is perfect for every woman’s daily use to even your skin and hide blemishes, without bothering any skin sensitivitie.
3) Harvey Prince Hello Body Cream, $22. The bright, citrusy smell of this moisterizer will instantly put you in a good mood while the shea-infused cream goes to work in smoothing your skin.
4) Marcelle Mini Waterproof Eyeliner Travel Kit, $18 (indigo). I think the name is pretty self-explanatory here, but in case you missed it, these bright eyeliners glide on seamlessly for an all day stay.
5) COOLA Face SPF 30 Unscented Matte Tint, $36. This product is scentless, nongreasy and made with all natural ingredients — it’s definitely a sunscreen to get excited about.
6) Pura Vida Lace Headband (set of 8), $18. These delicate looking headbands are made to stay in place without overgripping — even better, Pura Vida donates a portion of sales to charity.
I’m so excited to start using all of these products. Birchbox is actually a great option for someone like myself. The experts at Birchbox sent me things I would never pick for myself, but each product still suits me and is a fun addition to my everyday product lineup.
Also, can we just talk about how adorable this month’s box is?
I’m already eagerly anticipating the arrival of July’s box. Until then, you’ll find me experimenting with indigo eyeliner and relishing in the summery scent of Hello body cream.